Home > Breaking news > Lagos Govt To Arraign 229 Suspected Hoodlums On Monday

Lagos Govt To Arraign 229 Suspected Hoodlums On Monday

The Lagos State government has concluded arrangement for the prosecution of 229 suspected hoodlums arrested by the police for causing mayhem in the state earlier this week.

The Director of Public Affairs, Lagos State Ministry of Justice, Oyekanmi, who disclosed this in a statement on Saturday, said the case files of the suspects were being evaluated preparatory to prosecution for arson, murder, stealing, malicious damage of properties and assault, among others.

The suspects, according to him, will be arraigned on Monday.

He added that the state’s Director of Public Prosecutions, Olayinka Adeyemi, had gone round relevant police formations with her team to evaluate files of those arrested by the police with a view to determining those that have prima facie case against them.

The statement read: “At least 229 suspects were arrested by the police for various criminal offences, ranging from arson, murder, stealing, malicious damage of properties and assault before and after the state-wide curfew imposed by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to restore law and order.

“After the evaluation exercise, those that have cases to answer will be arraigned before the courts on Monday, while the release of those that have no case to answer will be ensured.

“Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN) while calling on Lagosians to maintain peace, law, and order in their respective communities, pledged the commitment of the state government to uphold the rule of law at all times.”

About Editor

Otunba Sayo Akintola is a 1992 graduate of Linguistics from the University of Ibadan, Oyo State. He holds a post-graduate diploma in Financial Management and MBA from Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi. He started his 12-year sojourn in journalism at the Nigerian Tribune in 1993 as Business and Economy reporter. He rose through the ranks to become the Group Business Editor of the nation’s oldest surviving private national newspaper, the Nigerian Tribune. He set up World Street Journal magazine in 2018.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

x

Check Also

Finance Minister Denies Obaseki’s Claim That FG Printed N60bn, Says Edo Gov Lied

The Federal Government has reacted formally to the recent disclosure by Governor Godwin Obaseki of ...

Kidnappers Now Demand Rice, Noodles, Maggi As Ransom In Abuja

Apart from huge sums of money paid as ransom to kidnappers by families of people ...