Home > Breaking news > Nigeria Records Second Death From Coronavirus As Lagos Discharges Five Patients

Nigeria Records Second Death From Coronavirus As Lagos Discharges Five Patients

Nigeria has recorded yet another death from the cornavirus outbreak.

Osagie Ehanire, minister of health, disclosed this during the presidential task force briefing on COVID-19 in Abuja on Monday.
Ehanire said the victim, whose identity was not disclosed, had serious underlying health issues.

He added that most of the confirmed cases recorded were people who came into the country from overseas.

“Majority of them are persons who came from overseas and the others have been traced as close contacts of such returnees,” he said.

“The high number of imported cases in Lagos and Abuja is directly due to their function as the country gateway for air travels.

“Till date, three persons have been discharged after successful treatments but sadly, another fatality was recorded over the weekend in the person of a patient who had severe underlying illnesses.”

He said the ministry has intensified contact-tracing and plans were in place to increase its testing capacity.

“We have intensified contact-tracing and our strategy remains to promptly detect cases, isolate them and follow up with their contacts and also isolate and treat in order to reduce the spread of the infection,” he said.

“The federal ministry of health is working closely with states and the presidential task force on COVID-19 to review response activities and institute measures to protect the health and well being of Nigerians while the NCDC-led multisectoral emergency operation centres continue to coordinate national response activities.

Meanwhile, the Lagos state government has discharged five coronavirus patients who were receiving treatment at Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.

The patients were discharged on Monday.

Earlier, the government had announced that six of the patients had recovered and would be discharged soon.

The total number of those who have recovered is now eight.

According to the state government, the patients, who had been in quarantine for four weeks, were finally discharged after mutiple test results showed that they were now fully recovered from the disease.

Nigeria now has a total number of 111 coronavirus cases spread across 10 states and the FCT.

Of the 111 confirmed cases, Lagos has 68; the FCT 21, Oyo seven and Ogun three.

Enugu, Edo, Bauchi and Osun all have two cases each while Ekiti, Rivers, Benue and Kaduna all have one case each.

Only one death has been recorded so far.

On Sunday, President Muhammadu Buhari ordered a lockdown of Lagos, Abuja and Ogun state to contain the disease.

About Editor

Otunba Sayo Akintola is a 1992 graduate of Linguistics from the University of Ibadan, Oyo State. He holds a post-graduate diploma in Financial Management and MBA from Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi. He started his 12-year sojourn in journalism at the Nigerian Tribune in 1993 as Business and Economy reporter. He rose through the ranks to become the Group Business Editor of the nation’s oldest surviving private national newspaper, the Nigerian Tribune. He set up World Street Journal magazine in 2018.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

x

Check Also

Fayose Loses Elder Sister, Moji

A former governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, has announced the death of his elder ...

JUST IN: Trikytee, Ozo Evicted From BBNaija ‘Lockdown’ Show

After spending nine weeks in the ongoing Big Brother Naija (BBNaija) reality television show, Timmy ...